If you have a low self-image no matter how you dress, your body language and your energy will stop people from being attracted to you.
Changing your outward appearance can have a big impact on how you feel about yourself. Self confidence is a big part of your self-image. Be confident not cocky.
Self image has a lot to do with how you think about yourself. Remember you are unique, there’s no one else like you. You must love yourself first.
- Oral Hygiene: One of the first things people notice is your smile and your teeth, and if you stand too close to your customer, (stand in their comfort zone) they will possibly notice your bad breath.
- Skin: It’s important to have a balanced diet for a healthy body, and healthy skin. We are all about that first impression, and if your facial skin is broken out in skin blemishes because of a poor diet, it can be distracting for your customer during your sales presentation. Smoking, drinking alcohol, drugs and too much sun, can also be very damaging to your skin. You are a product of what you eat.
- Personal Cleanliness: is extremely important. There is nothing worse (except bad breath) then body odor. To cause someone to take a step back from you because you stink of body odor, is certainly not going to make a good first impression. If you tend to naturally sweat a lot, invest in a good quality deodorant. Be careful what brand of cologne you us. What smells good to you might be over pouring to a woman’s sensitive nose.
- Unsightly Facial Hair: Nasal hair and hair growing out of ears is not at all attractive. When you reach your 40’s invest in a magnifying mirror and electric clippers. What you cannot see in your bathroom mirror, others might notice when they stand up close to you.
- Facial Hair: If you have facial hair make sure it is neatly trimmed and styled. A full beard is often associated with laziness, so be careful with actual amount of bushiness. A short neatly trimmed beard is more of a sign of a perfectionist, detailed oriented personality.
- Head Hair: Your hair is your crown and glory make sure to have your hair cut every 4 to 6 weeks to keep it shaped and styled. Use a quality shampoo and conditioner to keep your hair healthy. When coloring hair, it is important to match facial hair with the color on your head, this way it will look more natural.
- Finger Nails: Need to be Clean and trimmed short. In sales everything counts even your nails.
- Tattoos and Piercing: Be careful with tattoos and body piercing if you are trying to portray a professional look. People will judge you whether you like it or not. If you decide to have a tattoo make sure it is in a place on your body where it can be concealed or hidden. Body piercing can be very distracting, if you have exposed piercing ask yourself if this is the image you want to project.
- Clothing/Dress: Make sure your clothes are clean and pressed, and your shoes are cleaned and polished and match your clothes. There is nothing that’s shouts “Money and Success” than a person wearing good quality highly polished footwear. White socks should only be worn if you are wearing white pants. Make sure your clothes fit properly.
- Accessories: Are like frosting on a cupcake. Watches are very personal piece of jewelry; people do look at what kind of watch you are wearing, so pick the right one. A Necklace is a very personal piece of jewelry. Too many necklaces and you might get mistaken as the TV Character “Mr. T”.
- Eye-wear: With eyeglasses it is important to pick the right frame and style. Remember styles change, so it might be time for a new frame?
Make sure you dress for success at all times, as you never know who you might meet while out and about. Know your style. If you don’t have a style, or are not sure if you are projecting the right professional impression with the clothes you are wearing. Invest in a image consultant.
Always be prepared to make a good first impression.